[Linux-aus] Operation Anzacathon is go!

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Mon May 4 10:42:32 AEST 2020

On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 05:57:00PM +1200, martin f krafft via linux-aus wrote:

> That, and the fact that they enforce a proprietary, centralised
> server, and while there is source code, the clients aren't built
> reproducibly, and so you can't actually tell what you're running.

Yes, that too.  In fact the whole tendency of certain senior devs in
Signal and related projects (i.e. not just Moxie) in encouraging end
users to just place their faith in said devs and accept Signal as the
One True Cryptography Solution™ isn't exactly the kind of attitude you
want in a developer of security software either.

That and the constant refrain of bitching about OpenPGP and GnuPG just
makes them look immature and spiteful, which also isn't great.[1]

> Matrix is completely open-source, under foundation control, and
> federated.  Just use that ;)

All of which are good things.

I haven't used a specific IM client in a few years (not counting group
chat things like Discord, Slack, and IRC).  Is Matrix effectively the
successor to XMPP?

Regards,
Ben

 1. Obligatory disclaimer:  I've previously been employed by g10code to
    work on GnuPG (GPGME).