[Linux-aus] RIP Planet LA

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Sat Dec 12 23:01:44 AEDT 2020

Hi Neill

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 10:48:30PM +1100, Neill Cox via linux-aus wrote:
> I read it as the cost of maintaining the feed outweighs the benefit in the
> council's view.

This is largely the issue.  However, the "cost" in this case was not in the
provision of the server infrastructure (virtualised servers do not create
significant workload for the admin team).  LA is more than happy to provide
virtualised infrastructure to groups who are doing things of benefit to the
community.  The main problem with planet.linux.org.au in its previous form
was that it was running unmaintained software without any active upstream.
One significant consequence of this is that it was no longer receiving
security updates.  The cost of continuing to run software like this on a
public server was deemed too great.

> It's good of Russel to volunteer to run a replacement, and I applaud his
> efforts, but that should be done without requiring the admin team to do
> ongoing work to support it.

Indeed.  That said, In my view it would be entirely appropriate to host this
on LA infrastructure if the volunteers requested it.  LA (through the admin
team) would handle the provision of the infrastructure, but the volunteers
would be responsible for keeping the service maintained.

Regards
  jonathan