[Linux-aus] Ted Tso banned from lca?

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Sun Sep 30 13:53:14 AEST 2018

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018, Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:

>> [0] Or is there an unofficial ban where eg a sufficient subset of papers
>>     committee members just ensure his papers never get selected, or
>>     something similar?
>
> Not accepting an offer of a lecture is not the same as banning someone.  You
> can have fun at LCA without speaking.  You can have fun at LCA while only
> speaking at mini-confs or BoFs.

Seriously Russell? If there is a policy that no talk proposals from Ted
will be accepted then he is effectively "banned from speaking" at the
conference. That is what the original question is asking.

If LCA had a policy of not accepting talks from employees of Google and
then used your language to justify it was not a "ban" they would look
ridiculous.

Separately from that there may be a policy that registrations from him
will not be accepted or even one that the Police (etc) will be called if
he is seen at the venue. This could be justified under a reasoning that
some other attendees would feel unsafe if he is around.

Note: I am not aware if any such policy is in place nor if Ted has
submitted proposals, attempted to register or attended LCA since 2011.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.simonlyall.com/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar