[Linux-aus] Ted Tso banned from lca?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun Sep 30 14:28:22 AEST 2018

On Sunday, 30 September 2018 1:53:14 PM AEST Simon Lyall via linux-aus wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2018, Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:
> >> [0] Or is there an unofficial ban where eg a sufficient subset of papers
> >>
> >>     committee members just ensure his papers never get selected, or
> >>     something similar?
> >
> > Not accepting an offer of a lecture is not the same as banning someone.
> > You can have fun at LCA without speaking.  You can have fun at LCA while
> > only speaking at mini-confs or BoFs.
>
> Seriously Russell? If there is a policy that no talk proposals from Ted
> will be accepted then he is effectively "banned from speaking" at the
> conference. That is what the original question is asking.

There is no evidence for any such policy.  There is merely an observation that
he has not given a lecture.  Sometimes people who have given good lectures in
the past get declined because their recent offerings don't seem so
interesting.  There's lots of reasons for not accepting an offer of a lecture,
especially with a conference like LCA that is not short of offers.

Here is a reminder of what I was responding to:

On Sunday, 23 September 2018 8:37:37 AM AEST Anthony Towns via linux-aus
wrote:
# ] Conduct. One of them is Ted Tso, who was banned from Linux Conf
# ] Australia for questioning rape statistics on the conference mailing

> If LCA had a policy of not accepting talks from employees of Google and
> then used your language to justify it was not a "ban" they would look
> ridiculous.

If someone claimed that Google employees had been banned then they would look
ridiculous if it turned out that Google employees just hadn't made lecture
offers that are sufficiently interesting.

> Separately from that there may be a policy that registrations from him
> will not be accepted or even one that the Police (etc) will be called if
> he is seen at the venue. This could be justified under a reasoning that
> some other attendees would feel unsafe if he is around.
>
> Note: I am not aware if any such policy is in place nor if Ted has
> submitted proposals, attempted to register or attended LCA since 2011.

Ted, have you ever been banned from an LCA?

Have you been told that lecture offers from you will not be accepted?

Have you made offers of lectures at LCA that have been rejected since LCA
2011?  If so do you think that other people just made offers that seemed more
interesting or do you think there is a policy to blacklist you?