[Linux-aus] Ted Tso banned from lca?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun Sep 30 10:27:09 AEST 2018

On Sunday, 23 September 2018 8:37:37 AM AEST Anthony Towns via linux-aus
wrote:
> I came across the following claim in the context of the recent Linux
> CoC changes:
>
> ] It’s also important to note that four of the Linux Foundation
> ] Technical Advisory Board members did not sign off on the new Code of
> ] Conduct. One of them is Ted Tso, who was banned from Linux Conf
> ] Australia for questioning rape statistics on the conference mailing
> ] list.
>
> https://otter.technology/blog/2018/09/20/linux-kernel-hastily-adopts-standar
> d-code-of-conduct/
>
> Is that true? [0]

I have a vague recollection of seeing Ted at LCA after 2011.  It would be good
to check the records of who attended to verify that.

It's quite rare for someone to be banned from LCA and I'm sure if Ted was it
would have been widely noted.

https://etbe.coker.com.au/2011/02/10/lca2011-harassment/
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2012/11/08/rape-apology-lca2011/

I sent email to Ted after writing one of the above blog posts but he never
replied.  I guess he doesn't want to talk to me any more.

> I had noticed he didn't seem to be at LCA as much any more, but looking
> now it seems like he hasn't given a talk at any LCA since 2011 in
> Brisbane, which was the incident mentioned above.
>
> I'd kind of figured that Ted just didn't find LCA as fun anymore,
> especially given Valerie Aurora and Matthew Garrett did a big PR thing
> in Oct 2012 [1] attacking him as a rape apologist based on the Jan 2011
> thread. I can see how you'd see that and say "you know, these aren't my
> people" and not want to visit even without a ban.

https://np237.livejournal.com/34959.html

If his statements were misinterpreted in any way then he can correct the
record at any time he wishes.  If he decides that he was wrong in the past he
can state his new opinions at any time.  Others have done so.

> [0] Or is there an unofficial ban where eg a sufficient subset of papers
>     committee members just ensure his papers never get selected, or
>     something similar?

Not accepting an offer of a lecture is not the same as banning someone.  You
can have fun at LCA without speaking.  You can have fun at LCA while only
speaking at mini-confs or BoFs.

If someone refuses to attend a conference because they didn't make one of the
best talk offers that the organisers received that's their choice.

The idea that having an offer accepted by the LCA papers committee is some
sort of status symbol doesn't seem to be a good one.