[Linux-aus] attracting and maintaining volunteers

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue May 1 08:30:24 AEST 2018

On 30/4/18 7:07 pm, Linux Australia President wrote:
> We conducted an organisational SWOT analysis to know what to focus on
> - no surprises - it raised issues of volunteer capacity,
> sustainability, areas we need to address with policy, and platform renewal

Hi council,

Re attracting volunteers, I suggest it might be helpful to make it easy
for people to make small contributions, in particular, by moving
conversations into a public and open forum, such as this email list.

I've helped mentor a number of projects through the incubation process
of the Open Source Geospatial foundation, which involves a checklist as
per:
https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo/blob/master/incubation/documents/graduation_checklist.pdf

Of particular note is:

/* The project uses public communication channels for decision making to
maintain transparency. E.g. archived email list(s), archived IRC
channels(s), public issue tracker./

You will find Open Source foundations have similar requirements.

I've observed that for a community the size of Linux Australia, the
email list seems very quiet. It appears that decisions are being
discussed and made in forums I don't have access to as a casual
contributor. E.g. Offsite meetings.

While there is a place for offsite meetings, I feel they should
complement rather than replace online forums which allow for casual
contribution. E.g. Discuss complex topics at an onsite, but then follow
up with all topics to be discussed on list, with a motion and vote on
list, so everyone has the chance to contribute. (An example of this
process is used by the OSGeo-Live project, like many others, and
documented here: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/wiki/OSGeoLive%20PSC )

What do others in the committee and on this list think? Would it help
with attracting volunteer engagement?

Cheers, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter