[Linux-aus] Grant Application - A grant to Moe Menshed (about to start)

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Mar 25 21:34:44 AEDT 2017

On Saturday, 25 March 2017 10:16:49 AM AEDT James Purser wrote:
> I'm more than happy for Linux Australia to find a grant for equipment if
> it's related to educating people in the use of FOSS and what FOSS is about.

I agree.  I go even further, I support hackerspaces/makerspaces even if they
don't have a FOSS focus.  While some hackerspaces tend towards a Linux focus
because the people who want to control their hardware tend to want to control
their software, I've seen more than a few Windows systems at hackerspaces in
the past.  I don't think that LA should be opposed to non-profit artistic and
engineering persuits that just happen to involve Windows (LA isn't a Linux
specific organisation).

> The discussion about whether a "men's shed" is a valid recipient?
> Absolutely. While their focus may be for men, they provide a vital
> connection for men over a certain age, who are statistically much more at
> risk of suicide and social isolation.

The hackerspaces and makerspaces in Australia appear to be significantly
greater than 90% male (based on who I've observed attending) and they have a
good portion of grey-haired men who attend.

If the Moe Menshed is going to be another name for a hackerspace and have the
same 90%+ male membership as the other hackerspaces then I think it's OK to
fund equipment in a cost effective manner such as arranging transport from
Melbourne where lots of good stuff (including i7 PCs, large switches, rack-
mount servers, and more) is available for free.  As I said before I'm happy to
help arrange free hardware.

If it's going to be a specifically male venue then I won't support sponsorship
unless there is evidence that there is a social benefit that can't be achieved
by a multi-gender organisation.