[Linux-aus] hardware for ZFS

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jul 4 00:06:59 AEST 2016

One of my clients needs a new file server, probably rack-mount.  It will be
running ZFS so needs a JBOD configuration and 16G of RAM.  The server will
initially have about 9*6TB disks and expand to about 18 disks later on.  It
doesn't need a huge amount of CPU power and generally doesn't do much parallel
work, so a single CPU is adequate.  The client is a small business that
doesn't have a huge amount of money so constraining the costs is important.

If you have general advice about buying such systems then please reply to the
list.  If you sell such hardware and want to make an offer then reply off-list.

Also such discussions usually end up with people discussing BSD for ZFS
support.  While some discussion of other free Unix systems like BSD is
probably on-topic for this list my client can't consider BSD.  If people want
to discuss the benefits of BSD for ZFS that's OK but I won't be reading it.

Thanks.