[Linux-aus] FOSS-as-a-service

Michael Cordover la at mjec.net
Thu Jan 21 13:00:47 AEDT 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 12:46, Michael Van Delft wrote:
> I love the idea of a github-on-bittorrent protocol though, that seems
> far more decentralized to me.

This is essentially just about storing issues and wiki in a DVCS, right?

There have been several attempts at this[0], most of which seem dead. I
doubt that it's hard to do from a technical standpoint, but there are
reasons issue tracking etc is often centralised:

- it's a place for discussion, which is hard to follow if not everyone
gets the same thing at the same time    => this is solved by some kind
of always-on updater over a P2P network    => I'd consider this more
akin to blockchain than bittorrent, but either way

- issues sometimes need to have a limited audience    => this isn't
actually that hard to do, probably

- you don't necessarily want to pull down a    => this can be solved by
  something on the project home page

A very interesting thought, in any case.

Michael

[]:
https://github.com/npryce/deft/wiki/Other-Distributed-Issue-Trackers;
http://veracity-scm.com/;