[Linux-aus] FOSS-as-a-service

Michael Van Delft michael at hybr.id.au
Thu Jan 21 12:46:55 AEDT 2016

A couple of though I'd like to add:

1) While GitHub can't lock your code down, because git is distributed. The
lock in for me (and I suspect many others) is the ability to create issues,
discuss them and mark commits as relating to or closing issues. It's not
the repository that's locked down, but the management tools around it. I
believe it is possible to export GitHub's issue tracker data.

2) While I trust a community organisation like LA more than I trust a for
profit organisation like GitHub. LA hosting GitLab (which I support by the
way) it's still a somewhat centralized system and very similar to GitHub,
it's just changing who controls the servers.

I love the idea of a github-on-bittorrent protocol though, that seems far
more decentralized to me.

--
Michael