[Linux-aus] Candidacy support statement - President

ac ac at main.me
Tue Jan 12 00:22:11 AEDT 2016

At the considerable risk of being grouped with  "rabid fanatics"  (and
as I do not really care whether anyone loves/likes me or not) I am
making this post :)

Simply because some people have strong opinions about software freedom
and openness and fairness and level playing fields and low barriers to
entry and so many many other philosophies flowing from the
same motivators is hardly a reason to think they are "rabid fanatics"
anyway...

Google Docs and any/all Google products: (and OSX, etc):
it is not so much about an opinion of whether this or that platform is
better or whether you or I think it is more usable, has a more evolved
UI or you find it more user friendly.

It is about a lot more.

It is about open standards of data exchange, (and open standards in
general) about open source code, it is about philosophy, it is about
using FOSS and supporting/promoting FOSS tools, products and FOSS
communities. (as opposed to promoting huge multinational businesses)
with hundreds of thousands of software patents, etc.

Who can quickly name five top FOSS document Collaboration tools?

What are the barriers to entry to young software engineers trying to
make something themselves? (What I am asking is Google Docs good or is
it bad? and if it wasn't Google Docs it would be Bing Docs or Apple
Docs, etc etc)

This is not a Google Products community? Or an Apple support group?

It is a Linux Organisation (and by default also FOSS)

Yes, it is important whether it is Google Docs, or what else that an

open source community promotes by using it.

By using and disseminating Google Docs and other non open
source tools, products etc. you are in fact marketing it....

In my rabid opinion :) It does matter and No, I do not think it is something trivial.
of course at least 50% (plus?) of this group disagrees, but well,
sometimes it feels good just to get something of your chest, even if it
turns out you are wrong, and/or people think you are an idiot, at least
I still have the freedom to say what I feel and think., this is
something to celebrate!

Freedom to have my own opinion (and even to be an idiot/wrong/etc) *yay* :)