[Linux-aus] Candidacy support statement - President

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 21:04:39 AEDT 2016

I realise nobody asked me, but I think the choice of platform among open
source fans is an interesting discussion avenue. I haven't used Windows in
any form as a computing platform for like 10 years. I have used OSX
enthusiastically for about the last 4 years, and Linux prior to that. The
drift was the result of:

  -- Better OSX support by my corporate environment
  -- Better physical hardware in laptops
  -- Better open source support than Windows for my open source dev needs

I have to say, I couldn't be happier. There is almost nothing "linux-y"
that I cant' do on my laptop -- the most notable exception being the hassle
in the different library path prefixes of opengl meaning that some things
don't build easily for me. Obviously that's not a complex issue really, but
maintaining my own private port of the relevant complex application was a
big pain.

What I'm really grateful is the fantastic support OSX provides for open
source development and applications. I use approximately 50-70% FOSS
applications in my general work. While I could probably find my way clear
to the same endpoint on Windows, it would be a huge amount of trouble to do
so. I haven't really got anything against it, I just find it less efficient
for achieving work.

While I support open source and Linux as a key part of the ecosystem, I
don't think it should be 'beyond competition' from commercial and/or
closed-source packages. I appreciate innovation and progress wherever it
comes from, and I think we world is slowly figuring out the right way to
support an ecosystem with multiple kinds of software heritage.

On 11 January 2016 at 19:36, Andrew Pam <xanni at glasswings.com.au> wrote:

> On 11/01/16 18:21, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > What we need is a good FOSS videoconferencing tool with an option to
> > transmit an automated Max-Headroom like version of yourself, rather than
> > capturing live video...
>
> It's not FOSS, but Facerig is close to the software you're looking for -
> you can import your own models, and it animates in realtime from webcam
> face capture and/or audio input:  facerig.com
>
> Now we just need them to either open their code or someone to develop an
> open equivalent.
>
> Cheers,
>         Andrew
> --