[Linux-aus] Candidacy support statement - President

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Mon Jan 11 16:30:10 AEDT 2016

Hi Mark,

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Mark Foster <blakjak at blakjak.net> wrote:

> On 11/01/2016 3:40 p.m., Anthony Towns wrote:
>
>> On 10/01/2016 17:29, Anthony Towns wrote:
>>> * My work laptop is a Mac which runs OSX natively and a mixture of FOSS
>>> and
>>> proprietary software to do various day to day duties on top
>>> ** VMs of Ubuntu for desktop Linux needs and devstack tweaking
>>>
>> What desktop Linux needs do you have that you can't (or prefer not to)
>> run natively on OS X? I got the impression most free things were available
>> for OS X, though the updaters weren't as convenient as Debian or Fedora.
>>

> Are we seriously at the stage where we're challenging people who're
> putting their hands up to take a not-insigificant role in LA, because they
> use a mixed-software-stack for a variety of reasons?

I know both AJ and Hugh, and they also know each other. Both are pretty
much "Linux-greybeards", if such a term exists, as they've been around the
place prior to linux kernel 0.99 :-)

I don't think AJ was having a go at Hugh for using a mixed stack, but
rather questioning why he needed to. As in "I'm genuinely interested as to
why you need to do this thing".  I thought it was an inquiry, not an
inquisition.  At least I read it that way.

> I've been a big contributor to the Linux world in NZ for >15 years, but I
> spend an awful lot of time in Linux (and infact, for various reasons, I
> don't have a 'current' Linux workstation right now, though I still have
> several servers). Do I need to resign from Linux Australia now? Or at that
> level am I only worthy of being a 'member'?
>
> I officially joined LA in order to serve on the core team for LCA2015
> (Auckland); I volunteered a hellovalot of my time and energy into what I
> believe was a very successful LCA.
> I did an awful lot of the planning work for LCA on my (work COE issue)
> Windows workstation, and using my (work COE issue) Apple iPhone.
> I continue to administer the NZ Linux Users Group and participate in
> groups such as the New Zealand Open Source Society on predominantly Windows
> machines.
> None of these things seemed to matter to the outcome of the event.

And it was a great event :)

Music applications, particularly virtual instruments are very compute and
>>> memory intensive so virtualisation (OSX under Linux as it would have
>>> been)
>>> is a non-starter.
>>>
>> Hmm, compute-intensive seems surprising; I would've thought the constraint
>> was latency for device access (speakers, mic, midi etc). Isn't compute
>> under VM basically just a few percent worse than native these days? (Well,
>> running OS X under a VM seems to be frowned upon by Apple too from what
>> I can tell)
>>

> Play the ball, not the man.  The guy seems to have excellent pedigree in
> terms of the Linux and Open Source worlds and has accepted nomination into
> a challenging and time-consuming volunteer role.

AJ has been on the LCA council/committee for 5 years and also has been
involved in the organisation of many LCAs in various capacities. He has
also been a significant player in many open-source projects, distributions,
and worked in open-source roles in various companies.  Like Hugh, AJ has an
excellent pedigree in the FOSS world.

> Standing for office is so, so much more than splitting hairs and
> interrogating over details like this.

I don't think that was the intent. I think you've read intention into the
email that was not intended.

Shar and Compress,

Michael...

Disclaimer: Hugh is a work colleague.