[Linux-aus] Inflection Point - A Strategic Plan for Linux Australia

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Wed Jan 6 19:58:25 AEDT 2016

Hi Glen,

Behalf
> Of Glen Turner
> Sent: Wednesday, 6 January 2016 12:13 PM
> To: Kathy Reid <kathy at kathyreid.id.au>
> Cc: Linux Australia <linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Inflection Point - A Strategic Plan for Linux
> Australia
>  - what is the natural size of "a peak body for Linux user groups"?
Does
>    L.A even provide worthwhile services to the LUGs or is it in
practice a
>    holding company for linux.conf.au?

Linux Australia has never provided any direct services to LinuxSA
regardless of who happens to be the "benevolent dictator" at the time;
that said Linux Australia have, in the past, agreed to host both the
web-site and be custodians of LinuxSA's domain name (linuxsa.org.au) so
we could agree that the potential to help a local user group in SA is
there.

I haven't shifted the services over to Linux Australia simply because of
laziness more than anything else.

It's not clear what services Linux Australia could provide LinuxSA apart
from public liability coverage; in the past any activities I would be
involved in would be covered under AUUG's public liability (because they
were actually easier to deal with) however there's nothing that LinuxSA
does now that really needs any "special" coverage. If you slip over on a
banana peel at Marcellina's then realistically it's Marcellina's issue -
not LinuxSA's.

DSL