[Linux-aus] Inflection Point - A Strategic Plan for Linux Australia

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jan 7 06:29:49 AEDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 12:13 +1030, Glen Turner wrote:
> Hi Kathy
>
> I am somewhat outside of Linux Australia, but an interested onlooker.
> see the strategic questions slightly differently:
>
>  - how serious are you about lobbying?
>
>  - what is the natural size of "a peak body for Linux user groups"?
> Does
>    L.A even provide worthwhile services to the LUGs or is it in
> practice a
>    holding company for linux.conf.au?
>
>  - if you want a new constituency then what is it?
>
>  - what is the desired relationship with the maker movement?
>
> The alternatives to the name are too poor. It's easier to explain
> "we're
> more than linux" than to be in the morass of devalued "open" names.

This best expresses my feelings about the name change issue.  Except
for FOSS, which isn't suitable in a name, all the name alternatives
simply exchanged one fault line (Linux vs Web technologies) for another
(Free vs Open Source).

That led me to prefer we came up with subtitles, trading names or
mission statements rather than trying to 'fix' the name, until we see
one that really works.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett