[Linux-aus] Inflection Point - A Strategic Plan for Linux Australia

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 15:38:13 AEDT 2016

Hi Craige,

Great points. I think some of the document falls into "Strat plan / action
targets" territory, while some is "mission and vision" stuff. I wonder if
the scope should be tightened to "mission and vision" for the purposes of
the approving at the AGM, with a "suggested actions" section to fall under
the consideration of the new committee?

On 5 January 2016 at 14:28, Craige McWhirter <craige at mcwhirter.com.au>
wrote:

> On 05/01/16 12:15, Kathy Reid wrote:

> >> Why such a tight time frame?
>
> > Council nominations end on Sunday. Given that none of the Nominees have
> > (as yet) emailed this list articulating what direction specifically they
> > would like to take LA in, and what their positions are on key issues (as
> > opposed to providing their credentials for standing - none of which I
> > dispute at all), this document helps to draw out the key decision points
> > and key strategic questions Council 2016 faces.
>
> I appear to have mis-interpreted the document as a call to collaborate
> on a strategic plan. Such a document will take months of community
> consultation to get right (in some commercial organisations they take
> years).
>
> The document is much needed and raises many good points but also reaches
> some conclusions where the case for the conclusion has not yet been
> articulated (in the document) or the conclusion clashes with other
> groups / issues.
>
> I think these are excellent issues to be raised, discussed and resolved.
>
> I think we need to articulate the "why" in some of these conclusions and
> move on them (see my nomination email). We also need to review some of
> the conclusions that don't quite line up and get them right too.
>
> If this document's intention is to be a collaborative strategic plan for
> Linux Australia, then a short deadline does not really fit with that
> intention (and over time Google Docs will become more of a hindrance
> than a help).
>
> Especially as much of the community are quite probably still on holidays
> :-)
>
> --
> Craige McWhirter
> M: +61 4685 91819