[Linux-aus] Inflection Point - A Strategic Plan for Linux Australia

Craige McWhirter craige at mcwhirter.com.au
Tue Jan 5 14:28:30 AEDT 2016

On 05/01/16 12:15, Kathy Reid wrote:
> On 05/01/16 12:52, Craige McWhirter wrote:
>> On 05/01/16 10:05, Kathy Reid wrote:
>>
>>> - We provide until Sunday 10th January for commentary on the document
>>> (another five days)

>> Why such a tight time frame?

> Council nominations end on Sunday. Given that none of the Nominees have
> (as yet) emailed this list articulating what direction specifically they
> would like to take LA in, and what their positions are on key issues (as
> opposed to providing their credentials for standing - none of which I
> dispute at all), this document helps to draw out the key decision points
> and key strategic questions Council 2016 faces.

I appear to have mis-interpreted the document as a call to collaborate
on a strategic plan. Such a document will take months of community
consultation to get right (in some commercial organisations they take
years).

The document is much needed and raises many good points but also reaches
some conclusions where the case for the conclusion has not yet been
articulated (in the document) or the conclusion clashes with other
groups / issues.

I think these are excellent issues to be raised, discussed and resolved.

I think we need to articulate the "why" in some of these conclusions and
move on them (see my nomination email). We also need to review some of
the conclusions that don't quite line up and get them right too.

If this document's intention is to be a collaborative strategic plan for
Linux Australia, then a short deadline does not really fit with that
intention (and over time Google Docs will become more of a hindrance
than a help).

Especially as much of the community are quite probably still on holidays :-)

--
Craige McWhirter
M: +61 4685 91819