[Linux-aus] Linux Australia as It Stands

harry wwc harrywwc at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 13 08:47:30 AEDT 2016

re: reimbursing Board Members

I recently sat through some Board Governance training for NSW
non-Government NFP schools, and my understanding there is that Board
Members can only be reimbursed for actual costs incurred carrying out their
duties as a Board Member. They can not, and it is illegal to do so, be paid
for the 'time' as a Board Member.

Now, of course, LA is _not_ a school - however, I expect that the rules of
Board Governance of pretty we any NFP will be quite similar - e.g. the
rules are much 'the same' for Board Members of SuperFunds (from the person
delivering the above training who was previously a member of a SuperFund).

While the suggestion that Board Members should be 'paid' in some way is a
noble one, it may also be fraught with legal difficulties.

.h