[Linux-aus] Linux Australia as It Stands

Michael Cordover la at mjec.net
Tue Dec 13 09:05:20 AEDT 2016

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016, at 16:47, harry wwc wrote:

> I recently sat through some Board Governance training for NSW non-
> Government NFP schools, and my understanding there is that Board
> Members can only be reimbursed for actual costs incurred carrying out
> their duties as a Board Member. They can not, and it is illegal to do
> so, be paid for the 'time' as a Board Member.

Momentarily donning my lawyer hat[0] to say this is not a hard-and-fast
rule that would apply to Linux Australia.

That is not to say it is something we should do, merely that it is
something that it is legal for us to do. I think before doing so we
would want to thoroughly examine the precise form this would take,
because opportunities for conflict do arise.

The usual approach would be not to pay members of the committee for
their committee membership, but instead to employ one or more staff
members who may sit on the Council ex oficio, or not. Some organizations
also pay an honorarium to board members, and this is normally
permissible (again subject to appropriate checks).

[]: This is not legal advice and should not be relied on as such.
Specific legal advice should be taken by Linux Australia prior to paying
board members. I do not currently hold a practicing certificate anywhere
in Australia, so I cannot provide legal advice. I'm speaking here as
someone who worked as a lawyer, but my knowledge may be outdated or
incorrect, hence the need for specific legal advice.

Michael

--

https://mjec.net/