[Linux-aus] Spam :: Linux Device

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Apr 25 10:33:42 AEST 2016

On 24/04/2016 19:52, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 05:09:50 PM ac wrote:
>> I notice that this list and the LUV lists still have the odd spam
>> getting through bayes, rbl's, etc.
>
> The spam that went to this list only got through because there are no
> SPF
> checks on the list server.  The domain jamespurser.com.au has a SPF
> record
> with a -all entry so spam forging James' address would be stopped if we
> had
> SPF checks.
>
> The spam that went to the luv-announce list went through because either
> Lev
> has his address approved for mail to go through without moderation or
> because
> a moderator mistakenly approved a spam message.  I'm trying to chase
> that up
> with the committee now.  In either case that problem will be fixed.
>
> I think that new experiments in anti-spam measures are a good thing and
> encourage your work in this regard.  But with regard to the current
> list spam
> problems I think it's best to solve it at the server end.  I will
> personally
> solve the LUV problem.  The problem with this list could be solved with
> a SPF
> check, we just need the LA council to discuss whether they should do
> SPF
> checks.  I encourage anyone who wants that to ask the council to
> discuss the
> matter at the next meeting.

SPF Checks should be enforced, I'm amazed they are not.

Secondly, ac's email itself reeks of spam.

Every "appliance" vendor thinks their device (based on dnsbl and SA
probably like the other ripp offs) will save the world, yet here we are
in 2016 with the same shitstorm of spam to deal with daily - thankfully,
any half decent configured mail servers with a few DNSBL's and
spamassassin will stop 99% of spam - always worked for me, privately,
and commercially.

--
If you have the urge to reply to all rather than reply to list, you best
first read  http://members.ausics.net/qwerty/