[Linux-aus] Laptop advise

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Sun Nov 22 18:09:22 AEDT 2015

On 19/11/15 19:58, Roy E. wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I know this sounds a bit cliche but I am having difficulties for choosing a
> linux laptop, after an awful experience with Lenovo T450. It was either
> incompatible with linux or some erratic hardware malfunctions, anyway it is
> going back.
>
> I am really curios if anyone here is up to date with the current technologies
> / bought any fast machine recently that plays well with Fedora. I am kind of a
> localhost person who runs everything in-box, so most likely I am gonna replace
> harddisk with SSD if it doesn't come with one. No budget limit.

I'm eyeing off the current range from System76:

https://system76.com/laptops

They're all using the new Sky Lake architecture, which gives more compute
power in the same package.  The Oryx and Serval laptops can go up to 64GB of
memory(!), and can take two hard disks and two m.SATA drives.  And AFAICS
they're very reasonably priced.

Of course, you get Ubuntu with it, but you can easily remove that and put
Fedora instead :-)

ZaReason also has a good range of laptops:

http://zareason.com/shop/Laptops/

They're a bit older but they're still quite good.  I like the fact that their
AC adapters are quite standard, they can give you the 'super' key as either
Tux or Ubuntu logos, and they can install Fedora as standard.

Have fun,

Paul