[Linux-aus] Laptop advise

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Fri Nov 20 23:12:25 AEDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 19:26 +1000, lists at ebourne.me.uk wrote:

> Both of the HP laptops came with a 36 month warranty as standard,which
> is a lot better than 12 months cover and failing hardware a month
> later.

Maybe I have a long memory, but around 2012 that 36 month warranty would
not have done you much good:

  https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/hp-to-pay-3-million-for-misleading-consumers-and-retailers

To be fair corporate attitudes have probably changed, but like I said I
have a long memory.  Maybe too long.

I also remember the time Dell was plagued by capacitor failures in 2000
or so.  We had boxes around the country, and every single one failed.
And every single one was fixed by Dell, on site within 48hours, no
questions asked.  I recall news reports about the strain on Dell's
finances at the time.