[Linux-aus] Request: Officially oppose TPP Source Code provision

David Purdue david at purdue.id.au
Fri Nov 6 11:10:31 AEDT 2015

On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 10:27, Luke John wrote:
> Hopefully someone will be able to give a more expert opinion, however
> even on a conservative reading this section appears to have at least
> the following two outcomes.
>
> Governments are unable to set open source as a procurement requirement.

No, I don't think clause 1 says that.

It says that if you make mass-market software and want to sell it in my
territory then I can not require you to disclose the source code.

It does not prevent me mandating that for a
project/department/government I will only select open source software.

In other words - if you want to sell closed source software in my
territory then good luck to you, but I don't have to buy it.

> Governments are unable to require certain software be open to
> inspection by public or government.

Clause 2 says exactly the opposite - if the software is not mass market
(i.e. you wrote it just for me), or if it is used for critical
infrastructure, them the government can mandate access to source code.

Cheers,

DavidP