[Linux-aus] Request: Officially oppose TPP Source Code provision

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Nov 6 11:37:29 AEDT 2015

On 06Nov2015 07:27, Luke John <email at lukejohn.me> wrote:
>Hopefully someone will be able to give a more expert opinion, however
>even on a conservative reading this section appears to have at least
>the following two outcomes.
>
>Governments are unable to set open source as a procurement requirement.

It doesn't say that. It doesn't say anything about _procurement_. It says
governments may not prevent closed source from being offered for sale.
Obviously any _buyer_ can choose to buy or not based on whatever criteria they
like. (Indeed, it even is explicit: see 3(a).)

>Governments are unable to require certain software be open to
>inspection by public or government.

They are, if it is "critical infrastructure". I would think any government
could declare all sorts of things critical, for example control systems for
traffic or trains, and in democracies, software in voting machines.

>Whilst the second isn't something I understand to be a current
>practice, it is certainly something that has been called for by parts
>of our community.  With the recent VW scandal it has also attracted
>the wider publics attention and there's been encouraging discussion of
>it.

The VW scandal was exposed by black box testing, not requiring source code.

IANAL,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>