[Linux-aus] 30TB backup

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Jun 30 12:10:58 AEST 2015

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015, Phillip Smith <lists at fukawi2.nl> wrote:
> On 29 June 2015 at 12:04, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
> > The 2 servers with ZFS pools are connected by GigE, which really isn't
> > suitable for backing up 15TB of data.  So I guess the best option would
> > be some sort of removable table drive that can be connected to either
> > server. Are there good eSATA tape drives?
>
> You would probably want SAS connected tape. We use HP LTO drives in
> external rack-mount cases. The SAS is hot-plugable.

Sounds OK.  eSATA would be a little more convenient as the servers already
have it but I guess SAS controllers can't be that expensive.

How much do the tape drive and the tapes generally cost?

> Could you `zfs send` an initial snapshot to another ZFS array, then
> move it offsite and just send incremental snapshots? Not sure what
> your connectivity options are.

All the available ADSL bandwidth is being used getting new data into those
servers.  It's simply impossible to send the incremental snapshots over the
Internet.

In my previous mention of data changes I should have noted that it's slightly
more than the capacity of 2*ADSL links downloading 24*7.  ;)