[Linux-aus] 30TB backup

Phillip Smith lists at fukawi2.nl
Tue Jun 30 16:27:23 AEST 2015

On 30 June 2015 at 12:10, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
> How much do the tape drive and the tapes generally cost?

IIRC we got a good deal on the drive at about $1k. The tapes aren't
dirt cheap, but comparing the per GB price for tape vs HDD is
favorable, and HDD is not suitable for offline/long-term storage
anyway.

> All the available ADSL bandwidth is being used getting new data into those
> servers.  It's simply impossible to send the incremental snapshots over the
> Internet.

Ah, ADSL, say no more. Possibility to build an air-fibre link to a
nearby-but-still-offsite facility?

What is the data? Will you get good compression and/or de-duplication across it?