[Linux-aus] Science Cafe

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 11:31:06 AEST 2015

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 4:47 PM Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 08:02:55 AM James Polley wrote:
> > I like the Cafe Scientifique and Science Cafe concepts - I'm a fan of
> > anything that encourages science literacy or critical thinking.
> >
> > But I'm having trouble seeing how this is "a good fit for the aims of
> Linux
> > Australia". http://linux.org.au/projects/grants has some details on
> some of
> > the criteria the request should meet to be considered, starting with
> being
> > "for the good of a project that relates to Linux or Open Source". I
>
> I agree that a strict literal reading of the grants page would make this
> project ineligible for a financial grant.
>
> However at this time I'm not looking for money just for mailing list
> hosting.
> So even if it's determined that the grants page should be interpreted
> strictly
> I don't think this necessarily precludes mailing list hosting.
>
> But I think that the grants page should be interpreted more liberally.
> Computer Science is one branch of science and generally promoting science
> education goes along with Open Source.

You've won me over with this reasoning.

Science requires lots of openness: the methods used in an experiment need
to be open, so that the experiment can be reproduced and verified. The data
collected from the experiment needs to be open so that the conclusions can
be verified. The knowledge gained from the experiment needs to be open so
that later experiments are able to adapt and build on the results of
earlier work.

Computing is just one offshoot of the results of the open scientific
process. The Open Source movement wouldn't have been possible without the
fruits of centuries of Open Science that preceded it (not that it ever went
by that name - but that's how it operated).

Long term I think it might be a good branding exercise for LA to look into
a broader offering of mailing list services for groups like this - possibly
sponsored by one of the commercial mass mailing providers, if LA wants to
go down the path of corporate sponsorship.

Short term, I'm happy to support this request. It's true that scientific
literacy isn't directly related to open source, but I think that promoting
greater science literacy does have enough benefits to justify the small
cost of hosting the list.