[Linux-aus] SBS on Demand under Linux

Ben Sturmfels ben at stumbles.id.au
Tue Feb 17 21:41:25 AEDT 2015

On 17/02/15 20:54, Adam Nielsen wrote:

> Has anyone figured out how to get SBS on Demand working under Linux,
> without needing to install Flash?  With all the security issues it has
> I really don't want to install it, and it doesn't look like they
> support HTML5, so it seems as if there's no way to use it under Linux.

Hi Adam,

I had no luck with Gnash or Lightspark, but was able to play movies
directly with VLC with a bit of messing around.

Open up the HTML source for the video you're interested in and search
for "releaseUrls". Just below this you'll see a parameter 'html': '[URL]'.

[URL] refers to an SMIL file, which is the meta-data that a video player
can use to play the file - where to download the various versions,
subtitles etc. In theory you should just be able open that file in Totem
or similar.

For me, Totem didn't support the video codec though, so I got only
audio. That might vary between movies. VLC didn't want to open the SMIL
file directly, but worked fine if I opened the SMIL file in a text
editor and copied the [URL] from  <video src="[URL]" into VLC's "open
location".

Definitely not user friendly, but not too much work for an hour or so of
entertainment. And much respect to you for not installing Adobe Flash. :)

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Sturmfels