[Linux-aus] SBS on Demand under Linux

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Wed Feb 18 18:29:35 AEDT 2015

> Open up the HTML source for the video you're interested in and search
> for "releaseUrls". Just below this you'll see a parameter 'html':
> '[URL]'.
>
> [URL] refers to an SMIL file, which is the meta-data that a video
> player can use to play the file - where to download the various
> versions, subtitles etc. In theory you should just be able open that
> file in Totem or similar.
>
> For me, Totem didn't support the video codec though, so I got only
> audio. That might vary between movies. VLC didn't want to open the
> SMIL file directly, but worked fine if I opened the SMIL file in a
> text editor and copied the [URL] from  <video src="[URL]" into VLC's
> "open location".

Thanks for the suggestion!  This worked perfectly for me.  That URL
downloads an .m3u playlist which mplayer is able to play without any
problems, even allowing me to seek back and forth as well.  There's a
small glitch every five minutes or so as it jumps to the next file in
the playlist but otherwise it works really well!

It's not quite standard definition (360p) but it is good enough to
catch something I missed because I didn't know it was on.  At least as
a consolation for the low quality you don't get shown ads which is a
fair trade IMHO.

> Definitely not user friendly, but not too much work for an hour or so
> of entertainment. And much respect to you for not installing Adobe
> Flash. :)

Haha thanks :-)  Yes for occasional use it's not too bad at all!  Many
thanks for the info.

Thanks Bob and Brenda for the suggestions too.  Unfortunately I've
never had much success with Chromium, it's a bit too bare-bones for
me!  Good to know it's there as a fallback though if Ben's method ever
stops working.

Cheers,
Adam.