[Linux-aus] MemberDB is a great short term solution, but we need a broader rethink

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Sun Feb 1 02:11:21 AEDT 2015

As Stewart mentioned, rewriting from scratch takes a lot of extra effort
and I don't think LA has the resources for that type of task. There is a
lot more to a conference management system then it first seems like. Plus
anything which deals with billing gets complicated fast (writing a billing
system seems to be a right of passage for become a real "grumpy old
programmer" :).

If people really do want to replace ZooKeepr (which I'm not sure is
*actually* the case) its worth checking out Symposion used by PyCon US and
other conferences (http://eldarion.com/symposion/) and contributing to
that. The big problem with Symposion is that it has been highly North
America focused and hence probably missing things needed by an Australian
conference.

Tim 'mithro' Ansell