[Linux-aus] MemberDB is a great short term solution, but we need a broader rethink

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Sun Feb 1 02:38:13 AEDT 2015

Just getting through backlog of emails and discovered that AJ had also
suggested two other alternatives to ZooKeepr in another thread (I'm
excluding the third non-FOSS option).

For completeness, the list of FOSS conference management systems which
*might* be alternatives for ZooKeepr are;

 * http://eldarion.com/symposion/ - used by PyCon US, ApacheCon
 * https://launchpad.net/summit - used by Canonical, Linaro, DebConf
 * http://pentabarf.org/Main_Page - (formerly?) used by CCC, FOSDEM, DebConf

Before LCA should even consider changing, someone actually needs to do the
legwork to find out all of the following;
 * if the systems have the features needed by LCA (or other LA conferences)
and how much effort would be needed to add the missing features,
 * if the projects are under active development (and how does that
development compare to ZooKeepr),
 * if the projects are in any better state than Zookeepr
 * are there any experts we can lean on when we need XXX changes 5 minutes
before LCA starts,

I'm **not** volunteering to do that.

Tim 'mithro' Ansell