[Linux-aus] Minutes of Council Meeting 8 October 2014

Linux Australia Secretary secretary at linux.org.au
Tue Nov 25 20:51:25 EST 2014

Hi Tim,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read through the minutes and
provide us with constructive feedback.

The heart of the matter here I think is perhaps a broader question - and
one which I know the Council would appreciate the community's feedback
on. That broader question is:

"What measures are indicators of Linux Australia's success?"

In some organisations these may be called KPIs or KPAs, or even form
part of a balanced scorecard which indicates an holistic view of an
organisation's strengths and opportunities for improvement. As you
mention, there are indicators for engagement such as views of videos,
engagement on social media channels, posts on mailing lists and so on.
However, these measures simply look at one 'slice' or 'facet' of LA's
operations.

A broader 'snapshot' might look at key areas such as;

Finances: Revenue, outgoings, profit over time, percentage spend on
various areas etc.
Membership: Growth in membership, frequency of update of member details,
member surveys
Engagement: Through social media, mailing lists, web analytics and so forth
Reach: Through more events, media coverage and contribution to policy
papers and so forth
Morale: The enthusiasm and passion of Council and members

There's probably a piece for a future Council to consider here in terms
of what indicators best measure these organisational dimensions.

What measures would have the most meaning for the community?

With kind regards,
Kathy

--
Kathy Reid