[Linux-aus] Minutes of Council Meeting 8 October 2014

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Tue Nov 25 16:35:59 EST 2014

> Key Stats
>
> Membership stands at: 3188 members (3182 last fortnight)
>
> Twitter followers stands at: 864 (853 last fotnight)
>
> Subscribers of linux-aus list stands at: 1650 steady
>
> Subscribers of announce list stands at: 598 (594 last fortnight)

Hi Kathy,

It's great to see us trying to record data about what LA is doing, but I'm
unsure what these stats trying to show / track? Is it LA's community
membership, engagement, or something else?

If you're trying to measure how much the community is interacting with LA
then activity seems more important than subscribers. Something like "number
of unique posters to LA mailing lists", the "number of posts to the mailing
lists" or "number of messages retweeted" might be a better thing to report
on.

It feels a bit strange that twitter is included on the list (being a closed
and proprietary system) but not other social networks like Facebook (do we
even have a presence there?), LinkedIn (does anyone still use it?) and G+
(which we definitely have at least a minor presence on). As well, does this
include just LA or LCA/PyCon-AU accounts?

If you're trying to measure "impact" I wonder if something like the "number
of minutes of LA content viewed on YouTube", "number attendees at LCA
conferences" or "number of grants given" would be something interesting to
record.

Tim 'mithro' Ansell