[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sat Jan 25 21:04:24 EST 2014

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, Russell Coker wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:
>> And, yes, I suggest that the required wearing of markers to designate
>> people who want to be not photographed, does need to be considered as
>> not too much unlike the required wearing of the yellow star. Not as a
>> malicious "godwin" (I think that should be halfwit) form of censorship,
>> but, as a valid analogy - "These people are sub-human, and should be
>> treated as such, due to the matrker that they wear".
>
> There are many other uses of markers.  For example the majority of LCA
> delegates probably wear something with a penguin logo on at least one day of
> the conference.  The relevant issue is whether the people in question choose
> the marker for themself.
>
> If a fascist government wanted to force me to wear a penguin logo every day I
> would be really unhappy about it (and leave the country ASAP).  But on most
> days I wear a penguin shirt by choice.
>
> As I noted in my first message on this topic there are at least two
> conferences which have successfully used a no-photographs marker for delegates
> (Autscape and Adacamp).  This has worked repeatedly in the past, it can work
> again in other conferences.

I just had a rather worrying thought, occur to me after reading the
above message, in the context of regularly wearing clothing displaying
a symbolic logo.

If people can get locked up without trial, and all of their assets
seized, in various states run by fascist governments (the term is used
in the above message) in Australia (and, the fascism is spreading in
Australian governments, and, we have one in this state, that is, amongst
other malicious actions, on the verge of implementing genocide for a
different species of animal, in defiance of the people of the state),
for wearing clothing, or having tattoo's that incorporate pictures such
as the image of the Fink from the Wizard of Id cartoon strip, or even
communicating with such people, wittingly or otherwise, I am wondering
when the time will come, when people wearing clothing, or, having
tattoo's, that incorporate an image of a penguin, or of a BSD daemon,
or, wear coloured lanyards, or, once again, even people communicating
with such people, wittingly or otherwise, will be getting locked up
without trial, and all of their assets seized, by one of the Australian
fascist governments.

It reminds me of the text attributed to Pastor Neimuller (I think it
was).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale