[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Jan 24 22:59:04 EST 2014

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:
> And, yes, I suggest that the required wearing of markers to designate
> people who want to be not photographed, does need to be considered as
> not too much unlike the required wearing of the yellow star. Not as a
> malicious "godwin" (I think that should be halfwit) form of censorship,
> but, as a valid analogy - "These people are sub-human, and should be
> treated as such, due to the matrker that they wear".

There are many other uses of markers.  For example the majority of LCA
delegates probably wear something with a penguin logo on at least one day of
the conference.  The relevant issue is whether the people in question choose
the marker for themself.

If a fascist government wanted to force me to wear a penguin logo every day I
would be really unhappy about it (and leave the country ASAP).  But on most
days I wear a penguin shirt by choice.

As I noted in my first message on this topic there are at least two
conferences which have successfully used a no-photographs marker for delegates
(Autscape and Adacamp).  This has worked repeatedly in the past, it can work
again in other conferences.