[Linux-aus] Error with conference web site

Michael Cordover la at mjec.net
Mon Feb 24 16:16:43 EST 2014

On 24 February 2014 16:00, Steve Walsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:

> On 02/24/2014 03:19 PM, Jonathan Woithe wrote:
> > It's great that there's a workaround, but it seems that
> 2014.linux.conf.au should nevertheless point to LCA2014 as well.
>
> The YYYY.linux.conf.au was never an agreed URL between everyone involved
> (ie - teams, LA admin team, council, etc), it was always
> 'lca20YY.linux.org.au'
>
> For some reason, there was one created for 2011, and then the
> expectation somehow arose from delegates that it would exist for future
> years, which leads to the confusion we now have.

This expectation (whether intentionally created or not) I would think is
exactly the reason to ensure it works, at least on a "from now on" basis.

> We (the admin team) can go back and create old ones and new ones and
> make everything work for every edge case, but it's more things to chase
> down when someone reports a vague "the LCA website doesn't work. #fail"
> on twitter.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we're just talking about a CNAME and a
ServerAlias line, right? Setting that up for 2013 onwards (or even 2011
onwards) doesn't seem like a huge task to me...

FWIW the name LCA sounds like a domain name and that's where I expected to
find info when I was someone who'd only vaguely heard of LCA.

Michael