[Linux-aus] Candidate Statement: Christopher Neugebauer

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 13:50:51 EST 2013

This is a message of support for Chris, for any position he runs for. He
absolutely worked his butt off to provide two of the most successful
conferences I have ever attended. He's organised, careful, enthusiastic,
clever and compassionate. You couldn't wish for a better worker or leader.
If you vote for Chris, Things Will Gets Done.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Chris Neugebauer <chrisjrn at gmail.com>wrote:

> This is addressing both Peter and Mark's concerns in the same
> response, as they basically said the same thing.
>
> On 17 November 2013 00:38, Peter Lawler <linux-aus at bleeter.id.au> wrote:
> >
> > *Seriously, though. Your email talks about the great stuff you've done
> with
> > LA folks and the PyCon work you've done, but you've not talked about
> looking
> > outwards. Could you write a little about what you think you could do for
> LA
> > in raising general public awareness things about LA, inc FLOSS etc.
>
> I personally don't have a strong view on how LA can better engage with
> the general public on issues the membership sees as important. This is
> notwithstanding the fact that there are plenty of opportunities for
> the LA council to advocate, or engage professional advocates on
> important FOSS-related issues.
>
> The various grants the council has given Brendan Scott, for instance,
> have been a great example of LA funding public policy work relevant to
> FOSS.
>
> On a related note, I would be keen for council to facilitate, and
> provide any resources necessary to a public advocacy subcommittee. I'm
> not sure what form such a subcommittee would take, but I'd be happy to
> talk to any interested members to figure out the role. The LA council
> works best when it enables the community to do things, and this would
> be a prime example of just that.
>
> The role I do have a view on, and one that LA and its programmes have
> been very good at in the past, is outreach to people who are on the
> periphery of the community, or people who might not be aware of
> opportunities in the FOSS community. Getting community members to
> sprints and events is a surprisingly strong source of outreach, and in
> my experience, grateful recipients of help turn out to be the
> strongest of advocates. We should do more of that.
>
> --Chris
>

> --
> --Christopher Neugebauer
>
> Jabber: chrisjrn at gmail.com -- IRC: chrisjrn on irc.freenode.net --