[Linux-aus] Candidate Statement: Christopher Neugebauer

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 19:07:47 EST 2013

This is addressing both Peter and Mark's concerns in the same
response, as they basically said the same thing.

On 17 November 2013 00:38, Peter Lawler <linux-aus at bleeter.id.au> wrote:

> *Seriously, though. Your email talks about the great stuff you've done with
> LA folks and the PyCon work you've done, but you've not talked about looking
> outwards. Could you write a little about what you think you could do for LA
> in raising general public awareness things about LA, inc FLOSS etc.

I personally don't have a strong view on how LA can better engage with
the general public on issues the membership sees as important. This is
notwithstanding the fact that there are plenty of opportunities for
the LA council to advocate, or engage professional advocates on
important FOSS-related issues.

The various grants the council has given Brendan Scott, for instance,
have been a great example of LA funding public policy work relevant to
FOSS.

On a related note, I would be keen for council to facilitate, and
provide any resources necessary to a public advocacy subcommittee. I'm
not sure what form such a subcommittee would take, but I'd be happy to
talk to any interested members to figure out the role. The LA council
works best when it enables the community to do things, and this would
be a prime example of just that.

The role I do have a view on, and one that LA and its programmes have
been very good at in the past, is outreach to people who are on the
periphery of the community, or people who might not be aware of
opportunities in the FOSS community. Getting community members to
sprints and events is a surprisingly strong source of outreach, and in
my experience, grateful recipients of help turn out to be the
strongest of advocates. We should do more of that.

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer

Jabber: chrisjrn at gmail.com -- IRC: chrisjrn on irc.freenode.net --