[Linux-aus] grr

Euan de Kock euan at dekock.net
Thu Nov 7 01:37:03 EST 2013

Hi Robyn,

We've discussed this as at our regular catch up session and have had
some discussions with Linux Australia.

At present the Hobbyist and Student tickets are both priced below cost
to encourage participation from people who wouldn't be able to justify a
full priced ticket.

Our general approach to the categorisation of the tickets has always
been to strive to keep the definitions as general as possible, hence
we've always felt the terms Professional, Hobbyist and Student cover a
broad set of use cases without being too exclusive.

We've agreed that we will change the wording of the Hobbyist ticket to
specifically mention that this is also intended to cover all holders of
concession cards to make it clear that this is our recommended ticket
option for pensioners and others who do not earn a living through open
source related technologies.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer a further general discount on the prices
we have already set, the conference is budgeted as a non-profit event
with all the funds raised through sponsorship and tickets going towards
the cost of the conference. The Student and Hobbyist tickets are already
subsidised through the Professional ticket pricing and any further
discounting would force us to either reduce the scope of the conference
or pass on a loss back to Linux Australia - either of these options
would degrade the conference and would limit it's future viability.

There are a few other options you could pursue to further reduce the
costs to yourself. Linux Australia run a Regional Delegates programme
that may consider assisting you. We also offer a free ticket to people
who offer to help as volunteers. Additionally, for future conferences,
I'd recommend you take advantage of the early bird registration as this
also offers a significant discount.

In the interests of being open to as much of our community as possible
we would be happy to consider further discounts upon request.

Please contact the organising team directly via email
/core.team at lists.lca2014.linux.org.au/ to discuss this.

I hope this helps to address your concerns, however please feel free to
contact us if there is anything else we can help with.

Best Regards,

Euan de Kock,

linux.conf.au 2014 Organising Committee.