[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming"

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Mar 30 18:49:44 EST 2013

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013, Paul Parker <paul2471 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lacking technical understanding wastes space of places at these
> Conferences, space better filled by others more capable of
> participating and contributing,
>
> Those of less technical understanding can still benefit, raise own
> level of knowledge, economically, later learning through
> reading/listening/watching and discussing records from Conferences.

I don't think we should have any sort of implied class based system.  There
are some conferences which have a certain minimum required skill level (EG
some of the kernel conferences), but LCA is a conference that's always been
open to all.

The issue should be how the learning style of potential delegates fits with
what the conference can offer.  If an expert doesn't learn well in the
conference setting then it's better for them to watch at home.  If a newbie
learns well by interacting with others then it's better for them to be at the
conference.

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, Euan de Kock <euan at dekock.net> wrote:
> As to whether streaming will detract from real attendance, I seriously
> doubt anyone would compare the experience of being at a conference and
> all the added value you gain from being there with that of sitting at
> home watching a youtube quality stream. However my opinion on this is
> just an opinion much as anyone else's is - I think we'd have to measure
> the impact from a real conference to gain any true insights.

So you are the type of person who benefits most from attending in person.  Not
everyone is.

> We'd probably need to instill some basic codes of conduct to discourage
> people from sitting in a presentation watching other talks via streaming
> on their laptop, but this is part of a process of experimenting and
> finding the right balance.

I don't recall examples of other conferences having codes of conduct for the
use of electronic devices.  Even using mobile phones during a lecture doesn't
seem to be policed.

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, Peter Lawler <linux-aus at bleeter.id.au> wrote:
> Surely the correct way to handle people one talk from the seating of
> another would be to put it in the CoC for the conference.

Of course you could just have a couple of big screen monitors at opposite ends
of the common area outside the lecture halls and use them to display the two
talks which have overfilled the rooms allotted to them.  It doesn't seem likely
that more than two talks would overflow.