[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming" subcommittee

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Tue Mar 26 08:50:24 EST 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Michael Davies <michael at the-davies.net>wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > Do we have any solid evidence of this? Clearly as conference organisers
> we
> > worry may impact the economics of running the conference, but perhaps it
> > servs more for the very remote (overseas) audience? I know fromt he
> January
> > streaming of TBL w ehad most viewers outside of Australia.
>
> I do have some knowledge of this anecdotally.
>
> I have heard it discussed over the years that some people chose not to
> come to LCA on the hope that streaming would be available so they
> could watch it from their desk at work (how can you work and watch
> video all day?!?, but I digress).  The same people also vented
> frustration that since streaming wasn't a certainty that they would
> have to come to the conference instead.

I think that's just rambling and complaining - I wouldn't trust these to be
actually true, or only limited to a handful of people.

 I don't understand that mentality because the conference is much more
> than just the presentations,

Agreed.

> but I do think streaming potentially
> impacts conference attendance.

It might avoid some people coming, but we've never had a problem selling
out LCA, or have we?

>  Fortunately we do generally sell out,
> so while some people might not come due to streaming availability,
> others come instead.

Agreed.

> My personal thought, as someone who hasn't got the bandwidth to be
> involved with this subcommittee and hence should be ignored, is that
> we should ensure we capture 100% of the sessions on video and make
> that available post-conference,

Agreed, that should be the top goal.

> but not do streaming.

I don't see that as a logical consequence. But it is in fact something that
the conference organisers need to embrace (or not), because it will impact
on the conference. Either it's just a local event, or it's also an internet
event, for which the conference has to make allowances, such as having a
backchannel (twitter or irc or such), and managing local viewership (e.g.
CoC needs to state that ppl can't watch other rooms while in one room; may
want to leave a separate room as an extension room to any rooms that fill
up and are then streamed live there; may want to prepare a video viewing
area with headphones where people can go that don't want to be in just one
room, but maybe watch 2 at the same time etc).

Silvia.