[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming" subcommittee

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Tue Mar 26 08:36:21 EST 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Do we have any solid evidence of this? Clearly as conference organisers we
> worry may impact the economics of running the conference, but perhaps it
> servs more for the very remote (overseas) audience? I know fromt he January
> streaming of TBL w ehad most viewers outside of Australia.

I do have some knowledge of this anecdotally.

I have heard it discussed over the years that some people chose not to
come to LCA on the hope that streaming would be available so they
could watch it from their desk at work (how can you work and watch
video all day?!?, but I digress).  The same people also vented
frustration that since streaming wasn't a certainty that they would
have to come to the conference instead.

I don't understand that mentality because the conference is much more
than just the presentations, but I do think streaming potentially
impacts conference attendance.  Fortunately we do generally sell out,
so while some people might not come due to streaming availability,
others come instead.

My personal thought, as someone who hasn't got the bandwidth to be
involved with this subcommittee and hence should be ignored, is that
we should ensure we capture 100% of the sessions on video and make
that available post-conference, but not do streaming.

Ciao,

Michael...
Michael Davies   michael at the-davies.net