[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming" subcommittee

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Tue Mar 26 08:24:14 EST 2013

Standardisation of equipment and software is a nice aim to shoot for -
however, reality usually catches up with that goal far too quickly.

For example, video recording hardware gets reinvented roughly every two
years, so buying something now in the hope that future LCAs can make use of
it is likely not going to work. Works for components, but not, for example,
for cameras and recording devices (unless they are cheap and can be
replaced in 2-3 years without loss).

The situation for software is even worse: I expect that within 1-2 years we
will see a lot of video software run from browsers (video element, WebRTC),
because they have better cross-platform support than anything else out
there. Yet, right now, it's a little too early to run with it.

So, while I support the goal of standardisation, just be careful not to
become too inflexible to pick up new things.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers,
Silvia.