[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming" subcommittee

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Mar 26 07:46:02 EST 2013

Hi Euan et al,

Two further points on this - IMHO, the video team
should be separated from the LCA conf organisers as much as possible -
any human cost should not spill out to impact the conf organisers. if
something has to not happen because of lack of person-power in the video
team, then so be it - no impact on the conf. Swim-laning/containment.

Also, Tim's streaming interface had a really neat feature - the
ability to either block the stream from a set of IPs (such as the
conference delegate networks), or only offer low bandwidth streams to a
set of IPs. This discourages the "sitting in a room watching another
presentation behaviour somewhat. Of course you cant catch every 3G or
VPN connected client, but its about the majority/path of least
resistance...

 James

On 2013-03-25 23:21, Euan de Kock wrote:

There will always be an element of effort involved in doing
> this -
every aspect of LCA (or any conference) has a human cost - it's
> just
how we budget our team based on what we are trying to deliver
> during
the conference.

> We'd probably need to instill some basic codes of
conduct to discourage
> people from sitting in a presentation watching
other talks via streaming
> on their laptop, but this is part of a
process of experimenting and