[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming" subcommittee

Peter Lawler linux-aus at bleeter.id.au
Sun Mar 24 07:13:09 EST 2013

On 23/03/13 23:47, Russell Coker wrote:> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013, Michael
Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
 >> So... I like video and streaming, but how do we fund it if it reduces
 >> the attendance at the event?
 >
 > (some lectures were over-crowded).

The solution to the over-crowding is surely streaming the talks so
attendees at the conference can still watch. Additionally, the video is
important because frequently there are multiple talks on at the same
time that attendees wish to see, so storing and making the videos
available to attendees is, I think, important.

Some folks who want to attend may not be able to for a number of
reasons, family or medical emergencies, travel restrictions placed upon
people by Governments for various reasons, simply it's too expensive
(eg, say early teen FLOSSers from a country on the other side of the
world), etc. Should people in these categories miss out on the content,
or not be theoretically able to contribute via back channel methods
(IRC, Status.net etc.)? I reckon this sort back channel stuff goes on
any way, people asking questions by proxy.

It would seem to me that discussing streaming and storage of talks as an
issue about possible reduction in attendee numbers is dangerously close
to having a discussion about some form, even temporarily, of DRM on the
videos of the talks. And that's something I never want to see LA do.

Pete.