[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming" subcommittee

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Sun Mar 24 08:54:21 EST 2013

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013, Russell Coker wrote:
> The general impression I had received from LCA organisers is that for a long
> time it's been an issue that allowing more delegates would imply choosing a
> larger and significantly more expensive venue while also having less
> freedom to choose location (as there aren't so many huge venues).

I tend to think that LCA is about the right size now[1]. The logistics of
growing will limit venues and it will be come more impersonal. I would
also note that some recently LCAs have not (or only-just) sold out so
there might not even be the option of making it a 1000+ conference.

I'm not really sold on streaming of videos. In my option this requires
somebody to have the exact time of the conference free but not be able to
attend.

On the other hand recording and playing online of videos (and
slides) is something I view as much more important. I'm sure there are
many others in Aus/NZ who don't get to attend the conferences they would
like to in the US ( For me: SAGE, PuppetConf, Velocity, Surge ) but
instead get to read view the slides and videos from talks we were
interested in.

I very much view a conference that occurs but doesn't have videos (or at
least slides) online afterwards as one that didn't really happen. For some
hard numbers look at the youtube stats for some of the 2012 videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/linuxconfau2012/videos?flow=grid&sort=p&view=0

I count 46 as having more than 1000 views and the 3 had 33, 24 and 15
thousand. The one with the least views still go 92. Of course this is just
on youtube and doesn't count the number of people who looked at the videos
directly from the official archive. The videos from 2013 haven't be
officially uploaded to youtube (idea!) but this "unofficial" copy of one
talk (1 guess) has 6682 views http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44.

[1] Trying really hard not to say this in my "conservative old man" voice.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.