[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming" subcommittee

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Mar 23 23:47:23 EST 2013

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> So... I like video and streaming, but how do we fund it if it reduces
> the attendance at the event?

Do we have an attendance problem?

I had the impression that for a long time LCA was limited by venue size.  I
was told in the past that the number of delegates has been limited to the
capacity of the hall used for the keynote lectures.  While 2013 obviously
wasn't limited by the keynote hall size it did seem that the area used for
regular presentations was about as crowded as it could be (some lectures were
over-crowded).

The general impression I had received from LCA organisers is that for a long
time it's been an issue that allowing more delegates would imply choosing a
larger and significantly more expensive venue while also having less freedom to
choose location (as there aren't so many huge venues).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

Also larger conferences seem more impersonal.  For example the organiser of
the Colorado Software Summit deliberately limited the number of delegates to
about the same number as LCA even though the venue he hired could fit more.
Maybe something like Dunbar's Number applies to conference size.

In regard to the people who believe that they get better value from sitting at
home watching videos, would it be better for everyone if we provide really
great videos for free so that the limited seats in the conference can be taken
by people who want to hang out with other people?  Note that I'm not
criticising the people who would rather watch videos, they are probably more
like me than the majority of the population.

If we do have an attendance problem then what should we do to fix it?