[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming" subcommittee

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Sat Mar 23 18:57:51 EST 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Paul Parker <paul2471 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>    1. Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming"
> >>       subcommittee (Tim Ansell)
> >
> > Support this excellent idea.
> >
> > Many unable to attend in person can benefit through observing from afar.
> >
> > Australia's NBN is about enabling people's ability to participate and
> > receive services despite barrier of distance.
>
> I do think we need to remember that video comes at a significant cost
> (a bunch of people from the team who could be doing other things),
> plus hardware costs. 2013 paid over $10,000 for video camera hire for
> example.
>
> So... I like video and streaming, but how do we fund it if it reduces
> the attendance at the event?

I think there is an assumption in this question that hasn't been proven
yet. The assumption is that you cannot sell all your tickets because people
will not come to LCA since they can watch the conference remotely.

* how many people will not attend because they can watch it remotely?
* how many people will watch the video stream while at LCA?
* how many people have we had to turn down because LCA has been sold out
before?
* how many people will attend in future because they have been able to
experience LCA remotely before?

Are you sure you cannot fill the few spots of people that may not come
because they can live attend the talks with others that couldn't come in
the past because it was sold out?

Silvia.