[Linux-aus] LA grant request

David Lyon (Hackerpads) david.lyon at hackerpads.com
Fri Mar 1 09:59:42 EST 2013

Hi all,

Hopefully this grant request was inspired by some of my earlier
postings
to this list. I have some comments on this particular request that are
for discussion. Generally speaking I'm for this but would like to add
some boundary considerations. Any negativity I talk about following
shouldn't taint the fact that I support the principle in general.

As somebody who's lived in Asia (but not Vietnam specifically) I know
many
of these countries fairly well.

One thing to be mindful is that care needs to be exercised in Asia
when giving aid.

People there have high ambitions and good skills.

To demonstrate what I mean, we could use South Korea or Japan as an
example.

Many years ago Australia sent people to both those countries to help
them rebuild after the war. We did that but unlike the USA and Europe
Australians never got involved in the businesses there as commercial
representation was never permitted.

Now the USA and Europe own about 25-33% of all the high-tech businesses
in those two countries and Australia's share is much (much) less than
our percentage of representation.

Sadly, we helped out but never got paid.

So the question of 'training who's young people' comes up. Why would
we be 'training' our trade-competitors with no clear idea of how it
would benefit 'us'. Forgive my harsh questioning.

What needs to be improved is that we need to add some 'Australian
young people' to the program. Take some 'Australian young people'
to help train so that they learn something.

The benefit to Vietnam is made clear as is the benefit to the
program participants. But I'd suggest this needs to be fleshed out
a little bit more to describe a few more ongoing benefits to our
community.

David