[Linux-aus] NBN discussion

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Wed Jul 3 08:03:27 EST 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Peter Lawler <linux-aus at bleeter.id.au> wrote:
> On 02/07/13 16:29, Russell Stuart wrote:
>> On Tue, 2013-07-02 at 16:00 +1000, Peter Lawler wrote:
>>> As I'm an alleged retired-retired-retired Pidgin hacker
>>
>> Ahahh!  So you are one of the slack arsed bastards who never got around
>> to implementing Skype in libpurple.  :D
>>
> And while I think about it (thanks Mithro!)...
>
> There's been some chitter-chatter about WebRTC type stuff in Pidgin. I
> seem to recall last time this got a go at the very occasional table, it
> was decided to put it on 'hold' whilst the 3.x release of pidgin, which
> will have WebKIT goodness*, gets hopefully closer to release (this I
> guess, in theory, will make maintaining it easier than the current
> nightmare of trying to do this sort of stuff with existing code on both
> Windows and *nix) As I say, it's been a little while since the team
> discussed this and I can't precisely recall where we're at.
>
> Another thing I'd like to mention at this point is that someone, can't
> remember who, reported the other week that they managed to get Pidgin
> Voice Video happening on Windows. Sure, this is 'just' XMPP stuff, but
> it's fairly 'exciting'. I can't recall if they used the development
> branch of Pidgin or the current release, though.
>
> Pete.
>
> *Yes yes we know, WebKIT is being dropped by seemingly everyone thankyou
> smarty-pants and while I'm going to write a long sentence with no
> punctuation can the web development community please keep their
> lifecycles to longer than 2 nanoseconds it does help other people out
> there plan long term araghaghargh ;)

Progress is not stopped by asking it to stop. ;-)

Anyway: WebKit is not what you want: you want blink - Google's web
engine - which has WebRTC support. Or if you are only interested in
the WebRTC part of blink, you should just use the webrtc code stack
https://code.google.com/p/webrtc/ , which is also what Firefox uses.

Silvia.